Thursday, March 17, 2011

Preparations continue

We leave in a dozen days for Bolivia.
Spring is just beginning here. Plants are poking through the soil and birds have returned from their migration. When we arrive in Bolivia, it will be autumn, heading into winter. At noon, the sun will be in the northern sky, not the southern. It will be weird.
Last weekend, I attended the annual conference of our Rotary district, 7570, at the Homestead Resort in Hot Springs. We listened to several inspiring speakers, including the vice-president of Rotary, Monty Audenart, from Canada. A dentist by profession, Dr. Audenart had performed dental services in many dirt-poor countries around the world, including Bangladesh. His stories had a profound impact on me, especially considering the opulent setting of the Homestead where I sat, listening.
I'm making lists of what still needs to be gathered and packed. I'm accelerating my Spanish language training. I posted a notice on Facebook about our impending departure and many friends have responded with well-wishes. I'm getting excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment