Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Doug: My first week

My time in Santa Cruz has been great.  As Michael mentioned, we have visited many great projects and met many great people.  The people here are everything I expected and more.  Every person I have met, whether rotarian, waiter or taxi driver,  has been friendly and willing to go above and beyond to help me out. That has really helped to make the adjustment to life here comfortable.

As a teacher, I have found the vocational visits very interesting.  Most of the schools for poorer children are not even comparable to the worst schools I have seen in the States.   Things I take for granted like, computers and books are rare or absent in most cases.  Paint is peeling off the walls and in some places the windows were broken or absent.  There is also the problem of finding and keeping qualified professionals.  People who can help and are willing to take low salaries....ok, really low salaries.

 I wish I could post pictures but, I forgot my cable!  I promise to borrow someone elses camera to upload some very soon.  As they say a picture is worth a million words and I don´t want to encourage Michael to try and match that!

No comments:

Post a Comment