Monday, April 18, 2011

Tamsen: Bolivian Culture

For the past three weeks we have had the opportunity to experience Bolivian customs and culture. There are parts of the culture that I really love and were easy to adjust to while other parts have been more difficult for me.

One part of the Bolivian culture that I really enjoy is that everytime somebody enters a group of people each person in the group is greeted individually. Women greet men or other women with a kiss on one cheek or two. Men greet each other with a handshake. As a part of the greeting each person says in Spanish, ¨Hello, how are you?¨ or ¨Nice to meet you¨. In our culture when we walk up to a group of people one ¨Hello¨ is a sufficient way to greet a room full of people. The Bolivian way is much more personal. The custom validates the importance of each relationship. The same rituals are repeated when it is time to leave. Along with the kiss or handshake each person says ¨Goodbye¨ or ¨See you later¨ to each person individually.

Becoming accustomed to Bolivian food has been the hardest part of the culture for me. Bolvians eat a lot of meat, potatoes, bread, rice and soup. Everything is freshly prepared and full of flavor. At home I do not take the time to prepare such delicious meals. Unfortunately, my stomach is not used to the quantity of meat that I am served here and I find myself wishing I could give up the elegant meals for some of the simple foods that I am accustomed to. I find myself longing for a day of eating yogurt, fruit and pizza along with a glass of skim milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment